Samsung’s latest application processor S5P6450(VEGA) for mid-range embedded market is based on 800Mhz ARM11 with Mali-400 3D GPU.
The key features of S5P6450 include:
– ARM1176JZF-S based CPU system with Java acceleration and Memory Mapping Unit (MMU) capability.
– 16KB I-cache and16KB D-cache CPU memories.
– 64-/32-bit 166MHz AMBA 3.0 AXI bus structure.
– Supports 32-bit Mobile DDR Interface Mobile DDR and DDR2.
– Embedded 64kByte SRAM and 64kByte ROM on AXI.
– Supports 8-bit 5 Megapixel (MP) capable Camera Interface
– Supports 24-bit 3x I2S and 16-bit 3x Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) Interface
– Supports 6x UART/2x SPI/2x I2C interface
– On-chip USB 2.0 OTG controller and PHY transceiver supporting high speed
– Supports USB HOST 2.0
– Supports Hardware Rotator
– Supports Transport Stream Interface
– Supports GPS baseband
– Supports Security SubSystem (SSS)
– Supports Mali400 3D engine
– Supports 13-ch. Touch screen Analog-Digital converter (TSADC)
– Supports MPEG2/4 decoder
– Supports eMMC 4.4
– Manufactured with the 45nm process for low power and low cost.
– Package is 409 pin FBGA type and dimension is 14.0 x 14.0 mm with 0.65mm pitch.
Many S3C2440 based application will meet a problem due to EOL(end of life) of SDRAM.
Samsung will not produce any SDRAM from middle of 2012.
So, you would better prepare your product with S5P6450/DDR solution for your future.
Please note the over all system cost will be very similar to S3C2440.
I’ll post this issue in detail within couple of weeks.